Thursday 17 May 2012

Team Fortress 2 Celebrity Match

As you could probably guess, I am not into many sports. The last time I watched a football match it was the World Cup, unless you count playing FIFA [whatever number they're up to now]. So when I saw a celebrity match of Team Fortress 2 being commentated much like a game of sports, I just couldn't resist watching.

I already knew before I started watching that Notch (creator of Minecraft) and the guys from Yogscast (a YouTube channel for gameplay videos and brilliant commentary), Simon and Lewis, were playing so I was looking forward to half an hour of gameplay, seeing the skills of the people I watch play games daily. As the video started playing, I saw that it wasn't just these celebrities playing, Freddie Wong (YouTube channel: Freddiew) and many other gamers of note were playing.

I remember when I was younger, there used to be a whole TV channel, just devoted to competitive games, I think they canned it though, anyway, it was showing matches from Unreal Tournament, and other FPS games, live, and they were talking to the teams between games, and I loved that. It opened up a whole new world of "competitive sports". This was something to aim for, instead of football, you could find a team of gamers, train them, and enter tournaments all over the world. I'd like to do that, I'm not nearly good enough, and when I originally wanted to do this I was too young.

I'm going to keep this post short and sweet, because I can see this evolving into something not even close to my original point. Here's the first video of the game, introducing the players, and the first match. As always, comment on our blog, doesn't have to be this post, and share us with your friends.

Happy Nerding!
Oli

No comments:

Post a Comment